Today’s the day! We are kicking off the Get Healthy U TV 60-Day START Challenge and I’m so glad you’ve joined us! You’ve already taken the first step toward making a healthier and happier you! In case you missed it, here is your calendar that will guide you through the 60-day journey. Print out this worksheet each week to help keep you accountable and track your progress!
Follow along with the short (but effective) workouts and wellness tips provided on the calendar — all things to start doing and a few bad habits to stop doing. ;) Every week, in addition to what is on the calendar, I want you to also:
Every single day, I drink at least half my body weight in water. In the morning, before I eat or drink anything, I reach for a big glass of lemon water. I squeeze about half a lemon into 12 to 16 ounces of room temperature water and sip. This has always been one of my favorite tips to share with people who ask for an easy tip to start right away for better health. And I don’t just recommend it because it adds a nice taste to your water; lemons have so many health benefits! Here’s why you should be gulping lemon water down daily:
1. Flushes Out Toxins When you drink lemon water, you are actually helping to cleanse your body. Lemon juice stimulates the natural enzymes in the liver, which in turn, helps it to flush out toxins! Consider it nature’s built-in detoxifier! Starting your day with lemon water helps to reset your body for the new day ahead.
2. Balances pH Levels Contrary to what most people believe, lemon water, although acidic in nature, is actually treated by the body as a base once ingested. Most of us tend to consume an overabundance of acidic foods, thus lowering our body’s pH level. Lemon water can help the body maintain a balanced pH state, alkalizing the blood and reversing the negative effects of highly acidic foods.
3. Assists in Weight Loss Lemons contain a soluble fiber called pectin that has been shown to help with weight loss. And since liquid calories add up faster than we’d like to believe (just think about your daily Starbucks with whip for a second), lemon juice is a delicious way to add variety to your water without calories!
4. Immune Booster When you think of an “immune boosting” fruit, oranges probably come to mind, right? Well, lemons should be included on your shortlist, too! Lemons are high in both potassium and vitamin C. The potassium will stimulate brain and nerve function and help control blood pressure, while the vitamin C will help fight against colds and the flu.
5. Digestive Boost A study in the “International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition” released in 2011 stated that taste receptors for bitter substances trigger your pancreas to secrete digestive enzymes and your gallbladder to release bile. This helps the digestive process along and makes the process of eliminating waste products from the body easier, which, let’s be frank, is a great thing!
Are you struggling to get enough protein in your diet? Many women do but there’s an easy way to fix that: smoothies! It’s my go-to breakfast because they are quick, easy and oh so yummy! I always add BiPro protein powder to my smoothies for an easy way to get in extra protein. It’s a whey isolate which is better than a concentrate and it goes through an advanced process that filters out fat, lactose, sugar and carbohydrates. In addition, it’s clean, easy to digest and comes in a variety of flavors.
Check out some of my favorite smoothie recipes below and enjoy!
Gut health has become a popular topic in health circles over the last several years. And for good reason! Improving your gut health does so many wonderful things for your body, it’s hard to keep track.
Here are just a few benefits of having a healthy, balanced gut microbiome:
People refer to the gut as the “second brain”.The brain and the gut communicate with one another constantly, which is just one reason why stress can directly affect your stomach. (Have you ever had a “nervous stomach?”) The balance of your gut microbiome can affect everything from inflammation to weight gain and even your mood. It’s clear to see that if we don’t take care of our gut health, the rest of our body takes a serious hit.
Heal your gut by making some small dietary changes:
This week, I want to talk to you about something near and dear to my heart: macronutrients. By understanding your macros, it will change the way you eat forever. If you’ve never heard this information before, I want you to know that it may feel overwhelming at first but we have an entire beginner’s guide to understanding macronutrients.
Plus, the worksheets I’m providing will be critical for your learning; please take advantage of them! We created a macronutrient cheat sheet for you that will make your life SO much easier, a Venn diagram breaking down carbs, protein and fat and a food tracking worksheet. And we created calculators for you to be able to figure out exactly what your breakdown looks like. I also like using this calculator!
Being active on a daily basis is one of the best things you can do for your health. Your body isn’t designed to sit all day. And movement does not have to be complicated! It can be a 10-Minute Workout, a walk around the block or utilizing a standing workstation. Getting up and moving around can cure chronic conditions and can slow the aging process!
And the best part?! Movement is free medicine with almost no side effects and proven benefits!
If you need motivation to move more this year, check out this list of benefits!
Need a new challenge? Check out all of our other challenges here. Or if you like the idea of focusing on one small thing each day, check out my 101 Fitness Tips that can lead to awesome results and lasting change!
Thanks so much for participating in this challenge with me. I do hope you feel proud of yourself; I know I do!
Until next time, –Chris Freytag